Developing an Advisory Group to the Community Care Center
The Safety Net Council/Community Care Center envisions a community able to respond to the needs of marginalized individuals at assure their needs are met.
Advisory Group Functions
- Serve as a sounding board for the Center operating committee and help with problem solving; be a resource to the group.
- Make connections to resources and knowledge in the community, e.g., by referral to other Asset Building Coalition Hubs.
- Assist with community engagement and participation.
- Speak publically on behalf of the Center upon request by the Center, e.g., at public hearings.
- Convey concerns from the community about the Center or Center operations.
- Ensure accountability of the Center to the public, e.g., by receiving regular reports from the Center.
Advisory Group Structure
- The Advisory Group is a voluntary group.
- The Advisory Group is a sub-group/committee of the Safety Net Council; the Advisory Group is only one, albeit important, element of the Safety Net Council’s work.
- Membership of the Advisory Group includes but is not limited to Safety Net Council participants; for instance, it should include representatives from other Asset Building Coalition hubs, such as housing and employment. Any member of the Advisory Group should be given the opportunity to join the Safety Net Council (open invitation).
- The Advisory Group will report to the full Safety Net Council twice per year or more frequently, if desired.
- The Advisory Group will convene monthly to be available to the Center as a forum where candid and trusting conversations can take place on a regular basis (strategic advice) and to provide active support (action) for the Center as necessary.
- The Advisory Group should be composed of 10-12 individuals.
- Advisory Group Chair should be a Safety Net Council participant (to be determined by the Advisory Council at their first meeting)
Advisory Group Composition
- Users of services
- Safety Net Council representatives
- Asset Building Coalition representatives
- Providence St. Peter Hospital Foundation
- Regional Service Network/Behavioral Health Organization
- Downtown private sector/business owner
- Public safety (law enforcement)
- First responders (fire, EMS)
- Provide Center partner list (those that are co-located and others that are not)
- Develop/provide Center Charter
- Brief Safety Net Council on the Advisory Group at Nov. meeting and determine Safety Net Council Advisory Group representatives
- Review and refine Advisory Group composition (identify missing stakeholders and suggest potential Advisory Group participants; brainstorm names)
- Finalize timeline for Advisory Group kick-off (tentative start: Jan. 2016)
- Determine whether a smaller ‘executive committee’ should be established that does pre-work in between Advisory Group meetings (e.g., agenda development).